Tips for Saltwater Fishing - Amberjack Fish Profile & Info
Distinctive olive-colored bar from the snout through the eye, to the beginning of the dorsal fin and a broad amber-colored strip running horizontally, along the flanks. Largest of the jacks and the most sought after by sport fishermen because of its qualities as a game fish.
Common to 40 pounds, up to 140 pounds
Found in the Indo-Pacific around Japan, China, and the Philippines, in the central Pacific off Hawaii, throughout the western Atlantic Ocean, in portions of the eastern Atlantic Ocean (Madeira and southern and western Africa), and in the Mediterranean Sea in tropical and warm temperate waters.
It is found mainly near the surface in open waters, but can be found at considerable depths and around offshore reefs, wrecks, buoys, etc.
Thought to spawn offshore throughout most of the year
It strikes fast, fights hard and often dives for the bottom. Trolling, casting strip baits, plugs, feathers, and spoons. Frequently when one amberjack is brought to the boat, others will follow it to the surface. Fishing methods include trolling near the surface with lures, spoons, plugs, jigs or strip baits, and also live bait fishing.
- Secret Fishing Tips
- Bass Fishing Tips - 10 Bass Fishing Secrets from the Pros
- When To Fish
- Fighting A Fish
- Codes of Angling Ethics
- Fishing With Kids
- Where Do Fish Live?
- Discover Fishing
- Fishing Tips - Rod Storage
- Fly Fishing Boats
- What’cha Eating? Bait Matrix
- Ten Tips for Clean and Green Boating
- Fishing Accessories - Tips from the Boating Guy
- Boating is Affordable
- Saltwater Fishing Boats: Find a Fishing Boat at DiscoverBoating.com
- Saltwater Fishing Tips: Boating Information for Saltwater Fishing
- Sport Fishing Boats: Find A Fishing Boat
- Big Choices: The basics of big-game fishing equipment
- Saltwater Fishing Boats
- Selecting Your Saltwater Fishing Gear
- Selecting Fishing Tactics Overview