Saltwater Fish - Spanish Mackerel
Back is green, shading to silver on sides, golden yellow irregular spots above and below lateral line. The front of dorsal fin is black; lateral line curves gently to base of tail.
Commonly 2 to 12 pounds
Schooling fish that migrates northward in spring, returning to southerly waters when water temperature drops below 70 degrees F. Western Atlantic north to the Chesapeake Bay and occasionally to Cape Cod, Massachusetts, and south to Yucatan, Mexico.
Inshore, nearshore and offshore, especially over grass beds and reefs. A swift and strong fish it roams in large schools, staying close to shore and around mouths of channels and passes.
Feeds on shrimp, small fish and squid
Spawns offshore, spring through summer
Use light tackle to cast, drift. Will take a variety of artificial lures, preferring flashing metal spoons. It is a very active fish that is a spectacular fighter when hooked. Minnows and live shrimp are the best natural baits.
- 30 Secret Fishing Tips
- 27 Ways To Tell If You’re A Fishing Fanatic
- When To Fish
- Fighting A Fish
- Codes of Angling Ethics
- Fishing With Kids
- Where Do Fish Live?
- Discover Fishing
- Fishing Tips - Rod Storage
- Fly Fishing Boats
- What’cha Eating? Bait Matrix
- Ten Tips for Clean and Green Boating
- Fishing Accessories - Tips from the Boating Guy
- Boating is Affordable
- Saltwater Fishing Boats: Find a Fishing Boat at DiscoverBoating.com
- Saltwater Fishing Tips: Boating Information for Saltwater Fishing
- Sport Fishing Boats: Find A Fishing Boat
- Big Choices: The basics of big-game fishing equipment
- Saltwater Fishing Boats
- Selecting Your Saltwater Fishing Gear
- Selecting Fishing Tactics Overview