Get Smart About Carbon Monoxide!
Published on Mar 22, 2010
DO NOT OPERATE YOUR BOAT WITHOUT DOING THE FOLLOWING:
Trip Checklist For Carbon Monoxide:
- Make sure you know where exhaust outlets are located on your vessel.
- Educate all passengers about the syptoms of CO poisoning and where CO may accumulate.
- When docked, or rafted with another boat or boats, be aware of exhaust emissions from the other boat(s).
- Confirm that water flows from the exhaust outlet when the engines and generator are started.
- Listen for any change in exhaust sound, which could indicate an exhaust component failure.
- Test the operation of each CO detecor by pressing the test button.
Boater’s Monthly Maintenance Checklist:
- Make sure all exhaust clamps are in place and secure.
- Look for exhaust leaking from exhaust system components. Signs include rust and/or black streaking, water leaks, or corroded or cracked fittings.
- Inspect rubber exhaust hoses for burned, cracked, or deteriorated sections. All rubber hoses should be pliable and free of kinks.
Monoxide Poisoning brochure!