Saltwater Fish - Weakfish
Dark olive or blue-green back; sides covered in tones of blue, purple, lavender, gold and copper. Irregular diagonal rows of vaguely-defined dark spots appear above the lateral line. One or two prominent canine teeth usually present at tip of upper jaw; black margin on tip of the tongue. The pelvic and anal fins are yellow; pectoral fins olive on the outside, yellow underneath; the mouth is yellow inside.
Commonly 2 to 3 pounds, up to 10 pounds.
Atlantic coast fish, possibly reaching to the extreme southeastern Gulf of Mexico
Adults move inshore and north during warm months inhabiting the surf, inlets, bays, channels and estuaries; adults move offshore and south during cold months. Juveniles inhabit estuaries which serve as nurseries.
Feeds primarily on shrimp and fish
Spawns in nearshore or estuarine areas between April and October
Cast lures, flies, spoons, surface plugs, swimming plugs and jigs. Use live bait such as crab, bloodworms, shrimp, and minnows.
- 30 Secret Fishing Tips
- 27 Ways To Tell If You’re A Fishing Fanatic
- When To Fish
- Fighting A Fish
- Codes of Angling Ethics
- Fishing With Kids
- Where Do Fish Live?
- Discover Fishing
- Fishing Tips - Rod Storage
- Fly Fishing Boats
- What’cha Eating? Bait Matrix
- Ten Tips for Clean and Green Boating
- Fishing Accessories - Tips from the Boating Guy
- Boating is Affordable
- Saltwater Fishing Boats: Find a Fishing Boat at DiscoverBoating.com
- Saltwater Fishing Tips: Boating Information for Saltwater Fishing
- Sport Fishing Boats: Find A Fishing Boat
- Big Choices: The basics of big-game fishing equipment
- Saltwater Fishing Boats
- Selecting Your Saltwater Fishing Gear
- Selecting Fishing Tactics Overview