Saltwater Fish - Red Snapper
AKA: American red snapper
Brick red on its head and upper body, whitish silver below; long rectangular snout, and brilliant red eyes.
Up to 80 pounds, most 5 to 25 lbs.
Southern Atlantic and Gulf of Mexico
Bottom feeders, found near drilling platforms, on deep banks and artificial reefs
Bottom feeding on squid and baitfish
Spawns June to October
Requires stout tackle. Use bottom fishing tactics near wrecks, oil rigs, and over reefs, with baits of squid, medium size fish, strips of bloody tunny. Suspended fish caught using heavy jigs tipped with strip bait just off the bottom. Red snapper seem to prefer a still or slowly moving bait. Squid whole fish and cut bait can be used to entice red snapper to bite. By chumming them up to the surface, flies can also be used.
- 30 Secret Fishing Tips
- 27 Ways To Tell If You’re A Fishing Fanatic
- When To Fish
- Fighting A Fish
- Codes of Angling Ethics
- Fishing With Kids
- Where Do Fish Live?
- Discover Fishing
- Fishing Tips - Rod Storage
- Fly Fishing Boats
- What’cha Eating? Bait Matrix
- Ten Tips for Clean and Green Boating
- Fishing Accessories - Tips from the Boating Guy
- Boating is Affordable
- Saltwater Fishing Boats: Find a Fishing Boat at DiscoverBoating.com
- Saltwater Fishing Tips: Boating Information for Saltwater Fishing
- Sport Fishing Boats: Find A Fishing Boat
- Big Choices: The basics of big-game fishing equipment
- Saltwater Fishing Boats
- Selecting Your Saltwater Fishing Gear
- Selecting Fishing Tactics Overview