Saltwater Fish - Blue Marlin
Cobalt blue on top shading to silvery white on bottom; upper jaw elongated to form a spear; dorsal fin pointed at front end; pectoral fin and anal fin pointed; lateral line reticulated (interwoven like a net), difficult to see in large specimens. No dark spots on dorsal fin; body covered with embedded scales ending in one or two sharp points.
The largest Atlantic marlin, common to 11 feet, known to exceed 2,000 pounds. Males do not exceed 300 pounds.
Makes trans-Atlantic migrations
Offshore, a bluewater fish
Squid and pelagic fishes, including blackfin tuna and frigate mackerel.
Caught by trolling at or close to the surface.
- 30 Secret Fishing Tips
- 27 Ways To Tell If You’re A Fishing Fanatic
- When To Fish
- Fighting A Fish
- Codes of Angling Ethics
- Fishing With Kids
- Where Do Fish Live?
- Discover Fishing
- Fishing Tips - Rod Storage
- Fly Fishing Boats
- What’cha Eating? Bait Matrix
- Ten Tips for Clean and Green Boating
- Fishing Accessories - Tips from the Boating Guy
- Boating is Affordable
- Saltwater Fishing Boats: Find a Fishing Boat at DiscoverBoating.com
- Saltwater Fishing Tips: Boating Information for Saltwater Fishing
- Sport Fishing Boats: Find A Fishing Boat
- Big Choices: The basics of big-game fishing equipment
- Saltwater Fishing Boats
- Selecting Your Saltwater Fishing Gear
- Selecting Fishing Tactics Overview