Boating Loves NYC
So many people think of boating, fishing and watersports as something you can only do in coastal towns or on vacation, but New York City is an amazing city for boating and more than ever before, our Manhattan-based friends have access to affordable options.
New Yorkers tend to lead a pretty hectic life in the big city so a fishing clinic on the Hudson River or evening sail may be just what the doctor ordered for reconnecting with nature, family and friends. And, let’s admit it, the views of Manhattan from the water can’t be beat.
Okay....drumroll...here are some of my top-recommended NYC boating spots:
- New boat rental programs out of Chelsea Piers: Last year, Luxury Yacht Rentals launched its rentals and captained charters business with hourly rentals on powerboats that comfortably accommodate 6-8 people. Rental fees for a 27’ powerboat that accommodates 6-8 guests start at $550 for the day (plus fuel). Add a licensed captain starting at $200/day. www.luxuryyachtrentals.com or 646.283.0452
- Big City Fishing (FREE) through Hudson River Park Trust, at Piers 84 and 46: catch and release with pro anglers right off the Pier – equipment, bait and instruction are provided http://www.hudsonriverpark.org/education/big_city_fishing.asp
- Fractional “time share” ownership continues to gain popularity for new boaters looking to try before they buy. SailTime offers fractional ownerships in New York City out of Chelsea Piers - www.sailtime.com
- Sailing lessons, sailing camp for kids and private yachting through Atlantic Yachting, out of the 79th Street Boat Basin - http://www.atlanticyachting.org/
- Hudson River Community Sailing at 26th Street - http://www.hudsonsailing.org/ - a non-profit dedicated to developing leadership in New York City youth through sailing education and providing maritime recreation to the community at large.
- NY Harbor Sailing Foundation - http://nyharborsailing.com/ - a non-profit foundation whose primary goal is to increase national and international sailing competitions in New York Harbor.
posted @ 8/5/2009 12:00 PM by Ellen