These reminders state a consistent theme: Use common sense when on the water. If you feel it is dangerous, it probably is. Accidents result from a chain of circumstances or behavior. The boating does and don’ts will help you chart a course toward safe, enjoyable boating. Remember: Boat Smart from the Start.
The Dos and Don’ts of Boating Safety:
- Do wear a life jacket. They float, you don’t.
- Do know the water and environment you will be boating in.
- Do keep a good lookout while under way.
- Do shut your engines off when people are in the water near your boat.
- Do observe the nautical rules of the road.
- Do check the weather forecast before getting under way.
- Do keep a balanced load and a trim boat.
- Don’t overload your boat.
- Don’t stand in a small boat.
- Don’t ride on the gunwale, bow, seat backs, or any place not designed for passengers.
Source: 2000 North American Safe Boating Campaign. National Safe Boating Council