Buying a Boat Can Be Affordable
- In some instances, you can buy a new boat financed for around $250.00 a month, like a car.
- Boats provide tax deductible and cost effective second homes. Interest on a boat loan can be deducted if the boat has a galley, berth and head.
- Visit a boat show to see what boating products are available and line up the best deals.
Boat insurance costs vary by boat length and type, cost of the boat and level of coverage. Consult your insurance agent for quotes or compare rates online. Some smaller boats can be insured for a nominal sum as a rider on a homeowner’s policy. You can reduce the cost of marine insurance premiums by taking a boater’s education course.
- Boat, trailer, and motor maintenance can be as simple as a freshwater wash down aftereach use and keeping them covered between adventures, helping to keep maintenance costs at bay.
- Costs for routine maintenance vary by region, but for more involved services, such as oil changes and winterizing, expect to pay what you would for your car on an hourly basis.
- Pre-owned boats can require significantly more maintenance.
Wash your boat regularly to prevent long-term effects of environmental wear and tear.
- Check to ensure your battery is clean, as dampness and dirt will drain your battery.
- Proper boat maintenance means being actively involved in all aspects of your vessel.
- Be sure to flush your engine after every outing.