Read our tips on saltwater fishing. The experts at Discover Boating have compiled a list to make your deep sea and offshore fishing experience more successful and enjoyable:
- Watch the Signs If you see birds e.g. Seagulls that are feasting on small bait-type fishes, there are probably larger game-type fish below the surface of the water. Also, look for floating wood or debris. In most cases when you chance upon a large floating wood, you would find a large game fish in the area even encountering dolphin.
- Stop, Snook and Listen Fishing for snooks is quite similar as fishing for bass. Snooks like to be around ledges, posts and rocks.
- Crabs for a Full Moon During full moons, use soft crab imitations as bait. That’s the time when crabs shed their shells and stripers come looking for them.
- If You’re Looking for Tunas, Find the Dolphins Yellowfin tuna are usually found schooling with dolphins. So if you see a group of dolphins, chances are there are some tuna in the area.
- Cut and Burn If you have trouble cutting through a spiderwire braid, try using a lighter or a match.
- Good Reef The best place to fish is near reefs since big game fish feed on fish that live on reefs.
- The Circle Hook Use a circle hook if you would like a higher hook up ratio. These hooks guarantees more catch, because of the minute gap, and the reverse point. They are generally better for the fish since they do not hook in the gut just the lip.
- Don’t Have Sea Legs Watch the horizon and stay on deck. These would generally help you if you’re having trouble with sea sickness: Stay away from the boat fumes, breathing it only exacerbates the problem.
- Anchors Away When your anchor is stuck at the bottom, try attaching a float to it. Return after the tide has changed in direction. This should be enough to loosen the anchor.
- Fish where the Fish Are A lot of fishermen have the idea that they should be catching their live baits over the reefs before going to deep waters. If the live baits are not in the area you’re planning to catch the larger games, then why would you come up with the idea that the large fish are there. Wouldn’t they be in the area where the bait fish are?
Author: Nicky Pilkington
Types of Offshore Fishing Boats: